Kuranda Art & Craft Galleries
There are many talented people living in and around Kuranda who have escaped the frenetic demands of city life in order to follow their muse. Perhaps it is something in the air, the lush beauty of the countryside and the encircling mountains that have a strong pull. Whatever it is, Kuranda is home to an extraordinary number of potters, painters, photographers, glass and craft workers, Masters in wood, jewellery and fabrics. Their work is on display in many of the shops, galleries and markets in the village, and it is possible to see work in progress.
Aboriginal culture has survived in Australia for over 40,000 years. The Djabugay tribe who live here have strong ties to this land and there was fear and trepidation when a steady stream of European settlers from the South moved up to Kuranda in the 1970s. Art and music became a unifying force and mutual respect and understanding grew over the years.
The pace of life is slower in Kuranda and there is the time and the will to learn and grow in a chosen artistic endeavour. Garden design and unusual houses suited to a tropical, leisurely lifestyle contribute to the amazing outpouring of art, poetry, music and goodwill. Take the time to soak up the ambiance during your visit.
Kuranda Village has a range of fabulous shopping / retail opportunities, including specialist arts and crafts shops and galleries. With a number of artists living and working locally, you can purchase a unique piece of art and craft from the markets or at one of the stores. Open daily.
Kuranda: Arts and Crafts Galleries
Bob’s Woodart Gallery
Doongal Aboriginal Art & Artefacts
Peter Jarver Gallery
Terra Nova Gallery
Kuranda Arts Cooperative
Other Kuranda: Arts and Crafts Galleries
- Australis Art Gallery – Stunning selection of vibrant, colourful paintings, blown glass, sculptures, reflecting the beauty of our environment by leading Australian Artists. Ph: (07) 4093 8572
- Bob’s Woodart – Enjoy the beauty of rainforest timbers carefully handcrafted into many unique pieces. Gifts and original souvenirs – shop 8/24 Coondoo St. Mobile: Bob 0488937385
- Claire Souter Gallery – Be transported to the magic of the rainforest with stunning tropical paintings by this celebrated local artist. Ph: (07) 4093 8383
- Ian Stephens Fine Art Gallery – An explosion of colour to excite the senses. Vibrant silks, dichroic jewellery and originals by leading artist Ian Stephens. Great range of prints, glass & gifts. Ph: (07) 4093 7223
- David Stacey Gallery -Local Kuranda artist renowned for his representation of the natural environment. His paintings and illustrations are a must see. For lovers of fine art. Ph 0428 595 516
For more information on Kuranda’s arts and crafts stores, please contact the Visitor Information Centre on (07) 4093 9311 or email@example.com